How the labouring woman feels EMOTIONALLY about what is happening in her body is just as important as what is happening physiologically. Negative feelings can intrude and make the labour seem more painful.
The main cause is FEAR:
- FEARS – if not resolved during pregnancy, will impact the length of labour and the degree of perceived pain
- If a woman is not prepared for labour (knowledge is power)
- If a woman is extremely anxious about birth
- If she is labouring in an environment where she feels uncomfortable or does not trust and feel safe with her caregivers
- Societal Influences – attitudes and ideas presented from family, friends, work colleagues, peer groups, media can certainly affect a woman’s faith in her ability to birth